Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Oscar Wilde dixit:

I have nothing to declare except my genius.
I find it harder and harder every day 
to live up to my blue china.
Who, being loved, is poor?
Wickedness is a myth invented by good people 
to account for the curious attractiveness of others.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to 
do with it. It is never any use to oneself.
Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.
There is no sin except stupidity.
A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything 
and the value of nothing.
Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple 
and the simple thing is the right thing.
Punctuality is the thief of time.
Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
Nothing looks so like innocence as an indiscretion.
Thought is not catching.
Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, 
is the proper aim of art.
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim.
I can resist everything except temptation.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us 
are looking at the stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the epigrams you wrote on your blog. I have never really liked Oscar Wilde, probably because I've only read those adapted versions we had to read for our English classes, but reading that I think I'm going to give him another chance. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I find the explanations hard to understand. Perhaps different ways of enjoying his sentences (different eyes for life, too).

Best wishes from Martin