Thursday, March 30, 2023

Hallelujah, a Queer Dance




Historic Montreal Church Is Backdrop for Queer Love Story Dance Video

The dancers soar across the church aisles and the altar, embrace as they spin and cover each other in blue and red chalk. They do this after opening video clips of homophobic protests and violence have flashed across the screen. All of this accompanied by a recording of Jeff Buckley’s popular song, Hallelujah. Near the end the two men share a brief kiss.  The final image is a large banner they create that reads ‘Choose Love,’ raised high over a backdrop of stained glass.
This dance performance video, entitled Hallelujah, was set and filmed in Quebec’s historic Church of St. Pierre Apôtre. It is a queer love story produced by Matthew Richardson –and the church leaders were happy to host it.

A still from the video.
“They welcomed me, my message, and our creation with open arms,” said Richardson, the show’s creator and  a former Cirque Du Soleil performer. Hallelujah is one of five dances he will direct as part of his CircusQueer Project. The video is deeply intimate in a deeply Catholic setting.

There is much to praise in this project: Richardson’s work and vision, the stunning grace of the dance in this particular space, the warm welcome of the Catholic community in Montreal, and the attention that it is getting in multiple publications. Further projects like Hallelujah are necessary in continuing to emphasize the beauty found in LGBTQ+ relationships in a long-denied religious setting. These initiatives, and their visibility, are essential to fulfilling the love that Catholicism promises to support and provide.

15 comments:

Tuel said...

A lot of people are questioning why they would dance on an altar in such immodest clothing. First, most dance attire is tight to the body due to the fact that dancing requires the ability to move your limbs freely. Second, the dance isn't sexual, none of the behaviors shown in this video were inherently sexual in any manner. All of the movements were those of love and admiration. And 3rd, I don't know about other churches, but in my church the stage in the altar is a place of communication and expression. A place to talk to your fellow congregation and God. God made Adam , and he realized that humans need community to flourish. And then made Eve, he made humans naked, he made them skin and bones and muscles layered over one another. I think this dance was a beautiful representation of two men infatuated with each other and God. I see no misuse of religion, only two Faithful Men who found their soulmates in each other.

Meow Master said...

It’s not pride month anymore, I’m not gay, but damn I cried watching this. I hope the whole situation gets better in the future for all you beautiful LGBT peeps. Love you all!

Beto B. said...

This is the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.

John Ellis said...

Listen up, I am a true Brit and have seen these guys before on the French version of France Got talent. I remember the guys talking French to the panel and explaining what they have been through, and the best way they can express themselves, and yet wanting to reach out to the world to tell in dance and movement the positive energy love brings. This very video has no need for words. Reader, please remember the man above on the cross he was half naked too, and, like these lovers below, did not hurt anybody.

Indy Indie said...

WOW. My grandson recently came out as gay and all I could do when I watched this is think how much I loved him.

Dc Sphinx said...

I felt pure love in their movements, it was absolutely beautiful and stunning.

Corv1d said...

So much chemistry and emotional weight to this choreography, absolutely beautiful and so nice seeing gay love in a way that isn't hypersexualized but also isn't sterilized and censored either.

Luis Iglesias said...

This is so beautiful. We need more love and less hate.

Aoidos Gabriel said...

I liked the new moves and the synchronization! I adored how gentle and loving they were without sexualizing the message.

John W. said...

What makes this unique, in my opinion, is how natural the movements are and the seamless transitions from on move to the next. Contrast the dance with the church which is often in conflict with sexuality. We get a simple, eloquent and loving rebuttal to church-based violence and religious intolerance.

Lilou Waro said...

One of the purest and most beautiful thing I've seen in my life. Man, this is so precious I could watch it all day.

Phil Shuster said...

Captivating, stunning and if I may say, magnetic. That is the power of true, undefiled love. It is contagious. Watching this, I was drawn into their lives. As they shared the power of love between two people in the most beautiful way I have ever seen on stage. It was far more than a performance!

Rewilding Dance Company said...

I have transcended. there are no words to describe this for me, the movement, the energy, the connection, the love, the despair and moving between so many cross disciplines, while telling a story and embodying it all. thank you for making and sharing this. i hope there is more to come. i would love to see this live.

Mico Vantonder said...

This literally had me in tears

Chante Payton said...

Just powerful and beautiful ❤️. Their dancing is so amazing. I would love if I could do half of what they did. Choreography was on point. Their flexibility, strength, and how their bodies move throughout the music was effortless.... powerful song, great message.... Again, you took my breath away from this performance.